Tuesday, May 1, 2012

high hopes...

A bit weirded-out by the fact that we're one-third of the way through 2012 already. Guessing I'm not alone in that feeling. But I am happy to see May arrive. I've got high hopes for the month...

*I fully intend to be celebrating the end of the super-cleaning/unpacking before the end of the month. Cannot even put into words how happy that will make me.

*This month will finally see my much-loved dear friend Chris starting the next chapter of his life, where he'll actually get to spend his days and nights with his beloved.

*The lovely Trish's Pin It and Do It challenge starts today and runs through the month. I thoroughly plan to have fun with this!

*I'm starting a class, 31 Things, in mid-May. It's sort of a scrapbooking class, but not really. It's more of a writing your personal stories sort of workshop. It runs for 31 straight days, and I've no idea how the hell I'm going to make the time for it, but I *am* determined. And excited.

*At the end of the month, we will finally have reached garden planting time. I suspect it won't be as big and elaborate as I'd been dreaming of for this year, as everything's just taken so much more time than I anticipated. But it will be good just to have our tomatoes and jalapenos and whatever else we get around to in the ground. There's always next summer to expand, right?

*Hoping to get much more read this month than last. Shouldn't be hard, as I only finished four books in April. :P

*****
On a different note, I was trying to update my sadly ignored 50x50, and was very surprised to see that I've got a huge dent in a few of my goals. Like #15-Try 50 new recipes--just yesterday, I made it to 42! And I made it on a very yummy note. :)

Spicy Chocolate Applesauce Cake

2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 Tbsp baking cocoa
1 1/2 baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp cloves
1 tsp allspice
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup shortening
2 eggs
2 cups applesauce
3/4 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In large mixing bowl, combine first nine ingredients. Add shortening, eggs, and applesauce; beat until well mixed. Stir in walnuts and 3/4 cup of chocolate chips.

Pour into greased 9x13 baking pan. Sprinkle remaining chocolate chips on top.

Bake for 35-40 minutes.


Thoughts: Definitely a keeper. Moist and delicious. Makes me happy that we still have a lot of applesauce left from last fall's canning spree.

7 comments:

Amanda said...

I have very high hopes for May too! It feels great to start a new month.

DesLily said...

I am happy for you that things are finally settling down!! I only wish I was excited as you about May...as I am already closed in the airconditioning the next 8 months do not thrill me at all. add to that fact that the humidity is back and now it is too uncomfortable for me to take my morning mile walk, and that I will be using the room darkening drapes and living in a much darker place until next "winter arrives here". I won't be lifeless but I do get down about many things in the heat and humidity. if it were only 3 months I'd be thrilled lol.. oh well can't change the weather lol.

I still can't wait to see pictures of the house inside and out as things are more to your liking!!
and like you.. if there is a bright spot in May for me it is that Chris will finally have Matt with him! I pray it lasts as long as my brother and his partner, David, ..they were together for 43 yrs before my brother died. I wish that long and more for Chris and Matt!!

Kailana said...

It sounds like May will be a wonderful month, Debi! :)

Susan said...

OMG that cake! what kind of shortening did you use? crisco? Please tell me, and then I'm going to try to make it. I need to make a chocolate dessert asap, I've been good and havne't made any cookies in months, and the desire to make gooey chocolate desserts is building.

I looked at Trish's pin and do it challenge, and it's the only time I haven't been tempted because I'm so not crafty, so none of my Pinterest boards are crafts! lol Now if it had been books to be read, or maybe some decorating around the house....which Pinterest funnily enough already got me started on! I look forward to what you make ,though.

I'm so happy for Chris, too.

and like Pat, want to see some pics of your new abode soon! and it's hard to see when we 'lighten' our load, we still have so much stuff, isn't it?

May is spring and soon, gardening time - May long weekend up here is when we can finally start planting.

Jean said...

It's so good to read some happy posts even with the ankle injury. But if that gives you a rest, take it! Love the census of your family--and I thought we'd been bad at times! I'll be back to blogging a bit, at least to finishing up the Australia side of the trip, as soon as I unpack, finish laundry, grocery shop, etc., etc. You know the drill all too well. Hugs!

Debi said...

Amanda,
YAY! And I hope the months turns out to be even better than either are imagining!!! :)

Pat,
I can definitely see why the oppressive Florida summer weather gets you down! I don't think I could handle it! And here we are, wondering if its safe to pack up our winter coats yet. :P

Kelly,
I hope so. And I hope yours is fabulous, too! :)

Susan,
Yep, I just used crisco. I hope you give it a try--it is soooooooo incredibly delicious!!!
And you should sign up for Pin It and Do It! You don't have to be crafty at all--you can do recipes or organizing ideas or home decorating ideas or books you want to read or ANYTHING! And of course, you can do any kind of combination of things! Seriously, you should join--it's totally not too late!

Jean,
I still have tons of posts to catch up on from your trip--I'm sort of saving it as a treat for myself when I have a chunk of uninterrupted time. Hope the resettling in to home goes smoothly!

My Gallery of Worlds said...

OMGTHASTLOOKSAMAZING!!! What kind of icing is on it?